Greenberg (2002)

anne mareck afmareck at CHARTER.NET
Sat Mar 12 15:44:49 UTC 2005

Hello!

First, let me introduce myself to the list. I'm a PhD student studying
Rhetoric, Discourse Analysis and Technical Communication and their varied
intersections. Hmmm...not sure what else, so I'll leave it at that!

The Greenberg piece was quite useful to me. I'm working two projects right
now: a CDA of a major retailer and a CDA of a retail product. The elements
of analysis that Greemberg mentioned are quite useful. From time to time I
see Flash animations, often overtly political messages but not always, that
seem to carry an immense rhetorical power in their short discourse. One site
in particular I can think of off the top of my head is http://jibjab.com
"This Land"

Greenberg's piece gave me a way to understand how that influence is
configured. The ideas of condensation, combination, opposition,
domestication and transference that he delineates are useful tools for
dissection and examination of the way meaning is made in these short, punchy
communications.

The idea of "opposition" is especially interesting to me, as we seem to be
in a time, in the USA at least, where politicians deliver reductive messages
to the public that seem to be swallowed whole, with little reflection.
Binaries are easier to understand, gray areas are removed, and the world can
be comfortably reduced to good & evil, right & wrong.

The idea of "transference" causes me a bit of discomfort. I am most familiar
with "transference" as a psychological term--is it is commonly used in CDA?
I wonder about borrowing highly specialized terminology from other
disciplines without historicizing the term and resituating it in the newly
envisioned context.

Well, that's my .02 for now on Greenberg.

I'm enjoying the discussion on this list. What a great find!

Take care,

Anne in Michigan