CDA: Kitis&Milapides (1997)

Linnea Micciulla lmicciulla at COMCAST.NET
Thu Mar 31 04:38:17 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I agree with what John wrote in his posting; the authors' overriding
ideology seems to be "Greece is legitimate, 'Macedonia' is not." (Would
they call that a metaphor??)  I also found their heavy-handed use of the
same strategies they were criticizing to be ironic.

In particular, I thought the use of the term 'metaphor' was very
strange.   Some examples of things they (dismissed?) as 'metaphor':

a) "a dominant metaphor calling forth the 'script' (or the myth) of the
'weak and the powerful' " p. 562
b) "metaphors describing factories as having to 'shut down' and
ambulances as 'sitting useless' or expressions like 'crops...rotting in
the fields' p. 569
c) "Concluding, the author puts the finishing touch on the picture by
likening the whole situation to 'tragedy', another metaphor" p. 570

I don't see how any of this is 'metaphor' is any normal usage of the
term.  Even adopting the position that metaphors are the building blocks
of cognition (Lakoff), it is difficult to see these (especially b) as
metaphors.  Are the authors suggesting that there are no power relations
between countries?  Are the statements that "factories... have had to
shut down" and "crops are rotting in the fields" untrue?  If so, why not
just say so?  Why not say, "It is not true that crops are rotting
because Greece is blockading fuel shipments to Macedonia."  or, "The
author is supporting his ideology through the strategy of making untrue
assertions."  Calling these statements 'metaphors' is very odd.  Same
thing with the word 'tragedy' which is commonly used to mean 'extremely
sad; horrible."  How is calling this situation a 'tragedy'
metaphorical?  I suppose under a certain analysis it could be considered
a metaphor which compares a live situation to a sad drama (in the Greek
tradition of tragedy).  But if the authors don't agree with these
(factual?) assertions, it would be more productive to call them lies, or
point out that there is a selective representation of the truth
happening, in which another side of the story is not presented.

Not only did the authors project negative connotations where there
apparently were none (see John's post), but they actually seemed to
misread the article in several places.  They say that "Greece is
portrayed as a sick person suffering from an 'identity crisis' based on
the original, "As a member of NATO, which is undergoing a post-cold war
identity crisis..." Evidently they resolved the coreference between
'which' and 'NATO' incorrectly, substituting 'Greece' for 'NATO'.  There
is so much misrepresentation, those analyses that I would consider valid
and of interest get lost.

Finally, the selectivity of the analysis detracted from its usefulness.
The authors listed 9 transitive sentences with Greece as subject and 4
with Macedonia as subject, but they excluded several Macedonia sentences
from the count, presumably because of the author's "performative
nominations" (footnote 19).  (They excluded some for Greece, too, by my
count.)  They have nothing to say about what I would consider the
harshest sentence in the article, "It's murder without bullets."  This
actually COULD be a metaphor! Is it 'economic death' caused by the
closing factories?  Or have people actually died because of the
blockade?  Or is it hyperbole?

I would actually like to read another article about how metaphor
constructs ideology in news discourse, with a more clearly defined
analytical framework, if anyone has any suggestions.  I don't mind an
ideological perspective, even (especially?) if I disagree with it - and
I think this can be tempered by setting up the framework of the analysis
clearly and in a way that promotes balance.

Linnea