Kitis&Milapides (1997)

Brendan O'rourke brendan.orourke at DIT.IE
Thu Mar 31 16:57:43 UTC 2005

Hi All,
Linnea wondered about 'another article about how metaphor
constructs ideology in news discourse'. An article that comes to mind that
might be of interest is:

Koller, V. (2005). "Critical discourse analysis and social cognition:
evidence from business media discourse." Discourse & Society 16(2):
199-224.

In that article Koller also looks at an article in the Economist newspaper
and concludes that  "It is clear that media discourse on M&A is very much
characterized by a selectively  used cluster of FIGHTING, MATING and
FEEDING metaphors, which combine into a scenario of evolutionary
struggle." (Koller 2005:217).

By the way I am new to the list and am really enjoying it. My interest is
discourse analyses of business and economics issues. Currently I am working
on a discourse analysis of small firm strategists - hoping to earn a Phd
for my efforts.

Thanks again to all for creating such an interesting list.
Best regards,
Brendan

Brendan O'Rourke,
Room 3-043,