future readings

Linnea Micciulla polyglot at BU.EDU
Tue May 31 23:04:38 UTC 2005

The next two articles we have planned to read and discuss are:

June:  Sleurs, K., Geert Jacobs, and Luuk Van Waes (2003). Constructing
press releases, constructing quotations: A case study. Journal of
Sociolingusitics 7/2:192-212.

July: Altheide, D. L., & Michalowski, R. S. (1999). Fear in the news: A
discourse of control. Sociological Quarterly, 40(3), 475-503.

The last time we picked articles to read, a couple of people sent me e-mail
with suggestions and I put together a schedule.  Since that time, we have
had a lot of people join the list. Now that we are a "global" community of
50+ people, I'm wondering how to put this list to good use.

Some options:
1) We can fill in the schedule for the next few months with readings that
have been suggested on this list
2) List members can volunteer to recommend articles on their areas of
interest and lead discussion
3) List members can make suggestions for future readings, and I can fill in
the schedule in the order they are suggested
4) We can set up a voting system to decide what articles we'd like to read
5) We can read and comment on each other's works in progress

Please let us know which of these options sound good to you, and what other
ideas you have. Hope you are enjoying the summer - or the winter - depending
on where you live. :)

Best,
Linnea