CDA: Identity and language

杉森 典子 n_sugimori at YAHOO.CO.JP
Thu Sep 22 16:13:27 UTC 2005

Hi,

What an intriguing question! I am more interested in the
material you read!

Paul V. Kroskrity defines identity as "Identity is defined
as the linguistic construction of membership in one or
more social groups or categories"(Key Terms in Language
and Culture, 2001, edited by Alessandro Duranti, p. 106).

Let me share my personal experience with you. Japanese is
my L1 and English is my L2 (I feel I am an L2 learner
rather than a balanced bilingual.) When I talk about Japan
in English, I feel that my identity is different from how
I was years ago when I had not been exposed to English. I
cannot explain more clearly, but I will continue to think
about it.

Best,

Noriko Sugimori

--- C�ero_Barbosa <cicerobarbosa at GMAIL.COM> から
のメッセージ:

http://www.philgraham.net/Graham%20and%20Luke%20-%20Final%20L&P.pdf)