discoursal move in email

anupam das anupam_d_in at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 23 13:54:57 UTC 2009

Parisa, hello!
           I specialize in computer-mediated discourse analysis and Prof Susan Herring is the chair of my advisory committtee. I think all the references that Alon has provided you are very relevant and may be of some help.

Good luck.

Anupam

 Anupam Das
2624 East 7th Street
Bloomington,
IN-47408
USA

________________________________
From: Alon Lischinsky <alischinsky at GMAIL.COM>
To: CDA-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:57:31 AM
Subject: Re: discoursal move in email

Hi, Parisa.

> 2. I wonder if you can direct me to some references on discoursal articles
> on emails.

I am afraid I do not have an answer to your first question, at least
not without a clearer idea of the goals of your research, but perhaps
I can provide a few pointers as to the second.

Susan Herring has written rather extensively on computer-mediated
communication. One of the earliest papers on the matter is her "Two
variants of an electronic message schema", published in her edited
book, Computer-Mediated Communication: Linguistic, Social, and
Cross-Cultural Perspectives (Amsterdam: Benjamins, 1996). A few years
later, she included an article by Cho ("Linguistic features of
electronic mail") in her Computer-Mediated Conversation (Cresskill NJ:
Hampton Press, 2003). And there is plenty of additional material in
the open access Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication,
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/

From a slightly different theoretical standpoint, perhaps closer to
CDA, there is a chapter by Helmut Gruber on scholarly email exchanges
in the recent textbook edited by Wodak & Krzyżanowski, Qualitative
Discourse Analysis in the Social Sciences (Basingstoke:
Palgrave-Macmillan, 2008).

Best,

Alon Lischinsky