Agreement of Adjectives

Andrew Carnie acarnie at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 15 21:23:21 UTC 1996

------- Forwarded Message

ReceivedFrom: "Nancy Stenson" <stenson at maroon.tc.umn.edu>
To: CELTLING at mitvma.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Adjective Agreement in Irish

In message <312207c446f9017 at mhub1.tc.umn.edu> The Celtic Linguistics List
writes:
> [...]
Ta/ na fir mo/r.
>         Ta/ siad na fir reasu/nta (mo/r mor/ra)
This one isn't grammatical either way, but if the intent is 'they are
reasonably large/tall men,' then either of the following would work:
          Ta/ siad ina bhfir mho/ra.
          Is fir mho/ra iad.

There are various other possibilities depending on the dialect, but as far
as I know, the plural adjective is correct in all cases for the attributive
usage, regardless of the syntax of the rest of the sentence. Lenition goes
with the preceding palatal consonant of the N; I don't know if that is found
in all dialects or not, but I think so (the above is Connemara).

Nancy Stenson

------- End of Forwarded Message