Optimality theory and Mutations

Andrew Carnie carnie at ling.ucsc.edu
Wed Oct 23 15:38:10 UTC 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:44:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Nicholas Kibre <nick at STL.Research.Panasonic.COM>
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Just a reminder! We're here

> HI All,
>
> Celtling has been pretty dead for the past few months, so I'm just sending
> a note to remind people we are still here!
>
> If you have a posting on the theoretical syntax, morphology, phonology,
> phonetics of the Celtic languages, please post it.

Ok, maybe this'll spice things up. Have any of you Celtic phonologists
out there had any luck applying Optimality Theory to consonant mutation?

I just spent a couple of days trying to apply a floating-feature based
approach under Christa Zoll's model to Welsh, and didn't have too much
luck.  I also tried a model proposed by a paper from SWOT II by Elzinga,
who proposed (for Fula) that mutations could be treated by a kind of
morphological constraint, and for various reasons (mostly having to do
with the chain-shift involved in Lenition) couldn't get that to work for
Welsh at all.

Any thoughts?

Nick

 ---------o---  Nicholas Kibre /'nihkahlahs 'kayber/
         /      Research Linguist/Speech Programmer
        /       Panasonic Speech Technology Laboratory