book announcement (fwd)

Andrew Carnie carnie at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 15 19:16:49 UTC 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:52:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Nicholas Kibre <nick at STL.Research.Panasonic.COM>
To: CELTLING at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject: book announcement

The Indiana University Linguistics Club
(http://php.indiana.edu/~iulcsecy/) has just released a revised version
of my thesis "A Model of Mutation in Welsh".

Some of the things addressed are:

 Representing mutations in a traditional generative rule framework.
 Why autosegmental approaches to mutation don't work.
 Mutation triggering as analyzed in lexical phonology.
 How structural mutations can be analyzed as the results of segmentally
  empty particles, in particular gender agreement lenition and post-initial
  argument (aka post-XP) lenition.
 Whether or not mutation processes can be dealt with well in OT (my
  answer is no), but whether some mixture of OT + rules is helpful (maybe).

Regards,
 Nick Kibre

       -- Nicholas Kibre -- nick at stl.research.panasonic.com -- kf6lxh --