Welsh Proverbs (by email) (fwd)

Andrew Carnie carnie at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 21 22:08:42 UTC 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:03:33 +0000
From: Darren Wyn Rees <merlin at netlink.co.uk>
To: AllthingsWelsh at eGroups.com, celtic-l at listserv.heanet.ie
Cc: celtling at mitvma.mit.edu, celtic-t at tc.umn.edu
Subject: Welsh Proverbs (by email)

I've got a collection of just over 1000 Welsh proverbs that you can
search via mail, and I'm adding to these, albeit slowly.  It's all very
experimental (be forewarned), but here's the gist :

Mail proverb at cymraeg.org for queries.

Only the Subject: line is used to take commands.

FIND

Use "find goat" as the SUBJECT: of your mail to find all proverbs with
an instance of "goat" in either the English or Welsh.

Searches are case insensitive or in other words, upper or lower
case letters do not apply.

Replies look like, "Blah blah

Welsh proverb here              English translation here
                                (if there is one)
Next result here                And again, the trans.

HELP

Sends a minimal help message; lists a few other tricks.

Speaking of help, I'm looking for help translating a hefty
chunk of Welsh proverbs where I only have the Welsh version.
Translating proverbs is *difficult* and any help appreciated.

Rather than release these proverbs for quick download, I
want people to query the database so I can get feedback
on how people interact with a language-related database
via email.

Darren Wyn Rees             merlin at netlink.co.uk
ASK your ISP to ADD the NEW england.* Newsgroups
http://www.england.news-admin.org/accessfaq.html