Fwd: A cornish riddle from 1830

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Wed Dec 12 22:07:09 UTC 2001

A Cornish question.
--- begin forwarded text

From: "Pat  Chapman" <Pat at pat24.freeserve.co.uk>
To: <celtling at lists.linguistlist.org>
Subject: A cornish riddle from 1830
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 21:04:59 -0000

I have recently come across "A cornish riddle" in the Cambrian Quarterly
Magazine and Celtic Repertory forno. 5, January 1, 1830.

The text, reproduced as it is in that rare publication is:
Flo vye gennes en Miz-merh,
Ni trehes e bigel en Miz-east;
Ea roz towle
Dho pranter Powle,
Miz-du ken Nadelik.

Is this little riddle known from any other source?
Can anyone solve it for me. I am a Welsh-speaker with some knowledge of
Breton, and I understand the words, but what is the solution to the riddle?

Any suggestions greatly welcomed.

Bill Chapman
Deganwy, Wales

--- end forwarded text

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link