Croman mac Nessa: Shelta & Travellers Links

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:47:18 UTC 2002

From: XPrinceHawkX at aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:38:17 EST
Subject: Shelta & Travellers Links
To: CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG

Madainn mhath.

As promised, here are my links to information about Shelta.  Some of these
are more about the general culture of the Travellers than about their
language in particular, though I have weeded out such as only mention the
language once or twice.  Nevertheless, some of these contain only brief
references to the language.  Some are much more detailed, a couple of which
even provide English to Shelta and Shelta to English lexicons (though one of
them has been suppressed by its author on the grounds that it was being used
by Irish police to harass Travellers).

Croman mac Nessa

  http://home.sprintmail.com/~richardjwaters/shelta.htm

  http://www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/JPN-shelta.html

  http://www.pitt.edu/~alkst3/Lexicon.html

  http://sca.lib.liv.ac.uk/collections/gypsy/travell.htm

  http://www.travellersrest.org/linkage.htm

  http://www.paveepoint.ie/faq.htm

<http://www.pitt.edu/~alkst3/Travellers/Bibliography%20of%20Sources%20on%20Iris

h%20Traveller%20Culture.html>

  http://www.btedg.com/html/language.htm

  http://www.shamrockshop.com/Information/Heritage/irish%20abroad.htm

  http://lings.ln.man.ac.uk/Html/YM/JGLS.html

This next one contains but little, near the end of the page, under the
subject mionteanga eile <another minority language>, with a few replies
following:

  http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~smacsuib/gaelic-m/logfiles/90/log9008.txt

--- end forwarded text