David Barnwell: Matthias O'Conway

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Fri Jun 14 15:56:03 UTC 2002

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 07:52:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barnwell <dbpmm at yahoo.com>
Subject: Matthias O'Conway
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>

I am currently researching a biography of Matthias
O'Conway,  the Irish linguist and lexicographer
who lived in Philadelphia during the early decades
of the nineteenth century.  While my primary
interest in O'Conway is in his position as author
of the first language teaching (Spanish) books to
be published in the United States,  no account of
his life will be complete without consideration of
his efforts to place Irish within the family of
Indo-European languages.
I am wondering whether any members of this list
may have come across materials by or about
O'Conway at any time.  If so,  I would love to
hear more.
Many Thanks,
David Barnwell