Moderator: Poll Results

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Wed May 22 17:23:47 UTC 2002

Well the poll results are in, and the summary is:

* A slight majority voted to keep the list moderated (13 to 9). I
know this will disappoint some members, but I'm afraid the majority
does rule in this case. I think this issue is one that can be
revisited from time to time.

* The moderator agrees that diachronic issues counts as formal
linguistics. As original moderator Andrew Carnie noted, his intention
was to screen for very elementary questions (e.g. "Are Celtic
languages still spoken?" or "What's the origin of MacKay?"), not
restrict discussion to synchronic issues.

* Most were OK with postings on other language topics besides
linguistics such as language policy, teaching issues, courses and so
forth.

* Most were interested in debates on linguistic issues on Celtling.

* There was a healthy interest on people being listed in a directory
on a voluntary basis. I hope to have a form set up in the near
future, although it will not be quite as interactive as LinguistList.
Any member may be listed, even if you don't have a formal degree - I
forgot to spell that out earlier.

* As noted earlier, you can post in any language so long as there is
an English synposis. Some members have been doing so already.

A final reminder - this is your list. If you have published anything,
have a question or issue, or are doing interesting projects, in
please let us know.

Thanks again for all the great responses.

Elizabeth