Andrew Carnie: Irish Lenition & Orthographic Depth

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Mon Apr 14 19:44:04 UTC 2003

From: Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org>
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: Re: Dorothy (Doireann) Milne: Irish Lenition & Orthographic Depth

Hi Brian,

I too have some brief comments. Actually I'm surprised that the <h> should
be such a stumbling block, given the fact that English uses diagraphs all
the time, especially <ph> and <th>. I personally had more problem, when I
was learning, to know which vowels were pronounced, which vowels were there to
indicate broad/slender, and which vowels were both. This was compounded
by the fact that the broad/slender pronunciation differences are changed by
which vowel is *actually* pronounced. (eg. a /b/ before a back vowel is [b],
but before a high front vowel is [bw], similarly a /b'/ before a back vowel
is a [bj] but before a front vowel is [b]. This means that depending upon
context the sequence <be> can be pronounced either with a [b] or a [bj]
quality. That took me forever to learn.

Best,

AC

--