Marion Gunn: Irish Lenition & Orthographic Depth

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Tue Apr 15 12:01:20 UTC 2003

>From: Marion Gunn <mgunn at ucd.ie>
>Subject: Re: Andrew Carnie: Irish Lenition & Orthographic Depth
>To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>

>Ar 20:44 +0100 2003/04/14, scríobh Elizabeth J. Pyatt:
>>From: Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org>
>>... This means that depending upon
>>context the sequence <be> can be pronounced either with a [b] or a [bj]
>>quality. That took me forever to learn.
>>
>>Best,
>>
>>AC

I commend your determination to learn, Andrew. That 'be' is hard to teach,
too, remembering that, if you think about the triad 'beidh', 'bead' and
'beann', the first two are actually closer in sound, rather than the latter
two, against a  rule-of-thumb often taught to learners. Now, say we add
'beag' to the mix?;-)
Best,
mg

--
Marion Gunn <mgunn at ucd.ie>
http://listserv.heanet.ie/

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link