Jean le Du: using h to represent lenition

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Tue Apr 15 17:22:13 UTC 2003

From: "Jean le Du" <jean.ledu at free.fr>
To: <celtling at lists.linguistlist.org>
Subject: using h to represent lenition
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:51:27 +0200

Just two memories from 1960.
There was a priest in UCGalway (an t-athair Eric I think was his
name) who had a small magazine in Irish, spelled the old way. I
remember him actually crying - he was getting old -because "they"
were destroying the Irish language with that spelling. An another
fellow, who now is a writer in Irish, who told me that "he didn't
like them aiches". And I notice that nowadays on monuments it is the
other way round : they use the Irish letters but mark lenition with
"them aiches", as if the dot on top had been forgotten.
The experiment should be very interesting.
Jean Le Dž

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link