Marian Gunn: Fonts with buailte characters (was: Irish Lenition & Orthographic Depth) CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Mon Apr 21 12:22:09 UTC 2003

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:49:32 +0100
To: celtling at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
From: Marion Gunn <mgunn at egt.ie>
Subject: Tom Pullman: Fonts with buailte characters (was: Irish Lenition &
  Orthographic Depth) CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Cc: gaelic-l at listserv.heanet.ie, gaeilge-b at listserv.heanet.ie

Elizabeth/Tom/Anthony,

Strictly speaking, it is to ISO (The International Standards Organization)
rather than Unicode, credit is due for the initiative of making our dotted
consonants into an international standard (Unicode's involvement is at the
secondary/implementation level, in agreeing to respect that ISO Standard).

This initiative, which was sponsored, worked on in conjunction with many
people in Ireland and elsewhere, all spurred along in international fora by
my company (EGT.IE) and NSAI (The National Standards Authority of Ireland)
for years, until it was formally defined, to our great joy, in 1998 as ISO
8859-14 (aka  Latin-8), and which can be seen in the context of related ISO
standards on URL:
http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/computers/unicode/cstab.html#Latin-8

For an account of Unicode's 1999 agreement to implement the provisions of
ISO 8859-14 by mapping the characters it defines to their system ('the data
the Unicode Consortium has on how ISO/IEC 8859-14:1998 characters map into
Unicode'), see: http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/ISO8859/8859-14.TXT

For an expert opinion on various implementations in keyboard form, see
Ciarán Ó Duibhín's essay:
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/mearchlar/latin8.htm.

Hope this helps,
mg

Cc: GAELIC-L - cuid dár stair, a chairde, nár thuig cuid againn, is dócha,
agus sinn ag dul tríd, is nárbh éasca a mhíniú/thuiscint ag an am. Tá súil
agam go léiríonn an teachtaireacht seo an éifeacht a ghabhann le gníomhú in
éineacht, in am trátha.
mg

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link