Caoimhin O Donnaile: origin of Didgeridoo

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Fri Jun 4 12:36:07 UTC 2004

From: Caoimhin O Donnaile <caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk>

>  I recall a discussion of this on another list where the phrase
>  "dúdaire dubh", "black trumpeter/horn blower", was mentioned. The
>  consensus was, if I recall correctly, that this was unlikely because
>  the sounds "didgeri" and "dúdaire" are really not similar enough.

The pronunciation of "dúidire dubh" and didgeridoo, though, are very
similar indeed, at least in Donegall Gaelic (and Scottish Gaelic).

Ó Dónaill gives "dúidire" as a variant of "dúdaire".  This could occur
under the influence of the slender 'r'.

Dwelly gives for "dùdair(e)":
     1. Trumpeter
     2. Act of sounding a horn
     3. Sound of a hunting horn

I suppose the word comes from the sound ("dúd"), as would English
"toot".

Incidentally, I see that the etymology of the English word "stooge"
is given as "origin unknown" by Merriam-Webster and American Heritage.
Ó Dónaill gives:
       dúdach: ... 2. mopish, shy, foolish-looking, queer
       dùdaire: ... 3. dolt
and Dwelly gives:
       dudarlach: paltry wretch

Any connection?

Caoimhín

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link