FWD: Scotch-Irish Studies, Call for Papers

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:22:55 UTC 2005

This is from H-Pennsylvania. A Scotch-Irish
studies conference will be held in Philadelphia
in early June.

-------------------

From: RKMacmaster at aol.com
Date: February 5, 2005 7:16:45 PM EST
To: jen at janofsky.net
Subject: Call for Papers

Center for Scotch-Irish Studies
  Call for Papers
  Scotch-Irish Identity Symposium
  Philadelphia, June 3 - 4, 2005

Who Are the Scotch-Irish?
The Center for Scotch-Irish Studies invites
proposals for papers and sessions for the Third
Scotch-Irish Identity Symposium, which will be
held in Philadelphia on Saturday, June 4, 2005,
with a welcoming dinner on Friday, June 3, 2005.

We are concerned with the development of
introductory material on the history and culture
of the Scotch-Irish suitable for elementary and
high school students, and for others who are not
familiar with these topics.  A primary focus of
the symposium will be to identify parameters and
guidelines for appropriate materials; we invite
contributions in this area.

Another area of interest would be presentations
on methods of estimating the number of Ulster
immigrants to the American colonies and the
United States.  We are particularly interested in
approaches that examine levels of commerce
between Ulster and early America, for the light
that this might shed on levels of immigration.
Also of interest are the economic factors
influencing levels of trade between Ulster and
the Colonies in the eighteenth century.  (For
example, how much flaxseed was needed to support
the linen industry in Ulster?)  We would
encourage quantitative and statistical approaches
to this subject.  Presentations on proposed
research in this area are welcome.

Proposals and abstracts for papers and sessions
related to the above subjects are invited.
However, even if your work, or proposed research,
is not directly related to the above topics but
relates to some further aspect of the
Scotch-Irish experience, we would welcome a
preliminary inquiry from you.

Proposals for papers may be submitted at any time
to the Center for Scotch-Irish Studies, PO Box
71, Glenolden, PA 19036-0071.  Please look at the
statement of Goals and Standards in
www.Scotch-IrishCentral.org.  Abstracts (300-500
words) describing the paper proposed for this
symposium must be received by March 11, 2005.
Authors will be informed by March 25, 2005 if
their abstracts have been accepted.  The full
text of the paper must be delivered by May 3,
2005.  Time for Symposium presentations will be
twenty-five to thirty minutes.  Please contact
the above address, telephone (610) 532-8061, or
e-mail cntrsis at aol.com, to obtain further
information.

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link