Hiberno English Judgment Requested

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Mon Jul 18 13:02:39 UTC 2005

FYI - Another PhD student asking for a Hiberno
English judgment. Please make sure to reply to
her directly since she is not subscribed to the
list.

---------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:53:47
From: Susagna Tubau < stubau at hotmail.com >
Subject: A Call for Hiberno-English Speakers

Hi to everyone,

I'm a Ph.D. student currently working on negative concord in Hiberno-English,
African-American English and Catalan. While reading about the topic, I came
across the following Hiberno-English construction:

... <Portions of message deleted by moderator >

I would also need some help in obtaining grammatical judgements
FROM SPEAKERS OF HIBERNO-ENGLISH (also known as Anglo-Irish and Irish English)
on the following sentence:

(2) Any person said that sex is no sin.

The relevant questions are: Is it grammatical to Hiberno-English speakers?

If the answer is yes, then, is the meaning equivalent to "Nobody said that sex
is a sin"?

Thank you very much in advance. I will really appreciate your help!

Susagna Tubau
Assistant teacher and Ph.D. student
Departament de Filologia Anglesa i de Germanística
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona

Linguistic Field(s): Language Description
                      Syntax

Subject Language(s): English (ENG)
--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link