Elizabeth Pyatt: Welsh-Hindi /d/?

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Tue Mar 15 21:32:54 UTC 2005

Since the list has been so quiet lately, I thought I would ask a
follow-up to the Welsh-Hindi connection in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4328733.stm

As Antony Greene's excellent summary points out, the direct
Hindi-Welsh Indo-European connection will probably not explain the
accent issue.

I think the pitch-accent facts of Welsh are reasonably well attested
(stress on penultimate, high pitch on the final syllable). I assume
they are similar in Hindi (anyone have a citation?)

But I was intrigued that Sonia Mathur (the Hindi native speaker) said
"there is an emphasis on the 'd' ". Any speculation on what phonetic
phenomenon she is referring to?

Cheers

Elizabeth
--