Steve Hewitt: Welsh-Hindi - parallel evolution of TAM verb form

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Wed Mar 16 13:29:58 UTC 2005

From: "Hewitt, Stephen" <s.hewitt at unesco.org>

Of somewhat more interest to linguists might be the following data:

Cheers

Steve

---------
Parallel evolution of the TAM values of verb
forms/constructions in Welsh and Hindi
	Steve Hewitt, s.hewitt at unesco.org

Form 1 is present/future in Classical Welsh; an
ordinary present in Old Hindi. It becomes future
in Modern Colloquial  Welsh; present subjunctive
in Modern Hindi/Urdu.

Construction 2 is specifically a progressive in
both Classical Welsh and Old Hindi. It becomes a
general imperfective  present in both Modern
Colloquial Welsh and Modern Hindi/Urdu.

  Both Modern Colloquial Welsh and Modern
Hindi/Urdu have evolved a third, expanded
construction (3b: Welsh ³I am at  her, doing²;
Hindi/Urdu ³I have stayed do²) to express what is
specifically progressive.

1 = simple tense form
2 = progressive-like construction
3 = expanded progressive construction (later periods only)
      a = Classical Welsh, Old Hindi
      b = Modern Colloquial Welsh, Modern Hindi/Urdu
      AT = affirmative tense particle

CLASSICAL WELSH

1. Siarad-af 		 'I speak/I will speak'
     speak-1s

2. Yr wyf yn siarad 		'I am speaking'
    AT am  in  speak

MODERN COLLOQUIAL WELSH

1. Siarad-a        i 		 'I will speak'
     speak-1sFut  I

2. Rw         i'n   siarad    	 'I speak/I am speaking'
     AT-am  I'in    speak

3. Rw	i    wrthi'n    siarad 	 'I am speaking rignt now'
     AT-am  I    at-3sf'in  speak

OLD HINDI

1. bo:l-u:n 		'I speak'
     speak-1s

2. bo:l-ta:	             hu:ñ 	'I am speaking'
     speak-prog     am

MODERN HINDI-URDU

1. bo:l-u:n 	           	 'that I may speak'
      speak-subjuntive-1s

2. bo:l-ta:	               hu:ñ       	'I speak/I am speaking'
     speak-Imprft     am

3. bo:l    raha:           hu:n   	'I am speaking right now'
     speak  stay-PFV  am

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link