Michael Everson: Nasal Fricatives

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Wed Mar 23 20:46:05 UTC 2005

To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Subject: Re: Andrew Carnie:  Nasal Fricatives

Andrew Carnie write:

>yes, I know what nasality is; the point is that according to the phoneticians
>you can't have simultaneous bilabial frication if there is air going
>through the nose because there isn't enough airflow in the mouth to
>generate the frication.

It's not a very stable sound, no. Which is why
nasality gets transferred to the whole syllable
and the consonant

>>For most speakers the -mh- in "sÈimhi™" isn't
>>nasalized however, and it's labio-dental, not
>>bilabial.
>
>With respect to the nasalization -- it sure sounds nasalized to me.

Pinch your nose and say séimhiú. Unpinch it and
say it again. It sounds the same, doesn't it?
Some dialects might nasalize one of the vowels, I
guess.

>Ni Chasaide writes the latter as [v] with a mid
>back unrounded vowel secondary articulation (a
>characterization I find baffling), but that's
>besides the point.

That isn't a vowel, it's a symbol for glottalization.

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link