Andrew Carnie: Nasal Fricatives

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Thu Mar 24 12:23:31 UTC 2005

From: Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org>
To: The Celtic Linguistics List <CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: Re: Michael Everson: Nasal Fricatives

Michael Everson wrote:

>>With respect to the nasalization -- it sure sounds nasalized to me.
>
>Pinch your nose and say sÈimhi™. Unpinch it and
>say it again. It sounds the same, doesn't it?
>Some dialects might nasalize one of the vowels,
>I guess.

it doesn't matter what I do, since I'm not a native speaker. But when I listen
(as objectively, yet not experimentally or instrumentally) to native speakers
talk, I hear a distinction between <bhi> and
<mhi>. This distinction MAY well be on the vowel
(and it may not even actually be distinctive --
I'd have to test that), but it would be
interesting if it was as I perceive it: on the
consonant.  My original question was --- and
continues to be -- not about nose squeezing, but
whether anyone had instrumentally tested nasal
airflow over the consonant (and vowels) in <mh>
contexts with native speakers.

>>Ni Chasaide writes the latter as [v] with a mid
>>back unrounded vowel secondary articulation (a
>>characterization I find baffling), but that's
>>besides the point.
>
>That isn't a vowel, it's a symbol for glottalization.

surely you mean pharyngealization or
velarization.  A glottalized v would be ejective,
which I know its not. I'll double check the
notation when I go in to work and check the
article, but I'm pretty sure the IPA defines
superscript "small gamma" to mean mid back
unrounded vowel quality on a consonant(as in a
back l). Unless they changed that without me
noticing
-- whcih is possible.

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link