CFP: Irish Studies

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at PSU.EDU
Wed Jun 28 15:45:53 UTC 2006

>From Highlands-L

The University of Sunderland
In Association with the North East Irish Culture Network

Fourth Annual Irish Studies Conference

10-12 November 2006

The Word, The Icon and The Ritual [iii] -Ireland
- Renaissance, Revolution, Regeneration.

Following the success of its last three
international conferences: Representing-Ireland:
Past, Present and Future, [2003] and The Word,
The Icon and The Ritual, [2004], and Lands of
Saints of Scholars, [2005] the University of
Sunderland, in association with NEICN, is
soliciting papers for an interdisciplinary
conference, which will run from 10-12 November
2006.

The conference organisers hope to represent a
wide range of approaches to Irish culture from
academics and non--academics alike. Performances,
roundtables, collaborative projects, and other
non--traditional presentations are encouraged in
addition to conference papers. We particularly
welcome proposals for panels. As with previous
year¹s conference, we welcome submissions for
panels and papers under the thematic headings of:
Ireland - Renaissance, Revolution, Regeneration
in the following areas: Literature, Performing
Arts, History, Politics, Folklore and Mythology,
Ireland in Theory, Gender and Ireland
Anthropology, Sociology, Geography, Tourism, Art
and Art History, Music, Dance, Media and Film
Studies, Cultural Studies, and Studies of the
Diaspora. North American and other international
scholars, practitioners in the arts, and
postgraduate students are all encouraged to
submit proposals to the conference organisers. We
also welcome proposals for papers in absentia for
delegates who wish to participate but may find it
difficult to attend the event.

The last three conferences have resulted in the
publication of a selection of essays, and we hope
to continue this with essays from this year¹s
conference.

This year we will have over 100 speakers in an
international event that will include a book
launch, traditional music and dance, drama and a
ceilidh.

Confirmed Plenary Speakers Include:

Ailbhe Smyth ­ University College, Dublin
Mervyn Busteed ­ University of Manchester
Tony Hepburn ­ University of Sunderland
Siobhan Kilfeather ­ Q.U.B
Richard Terry ­ University of Sunderland
Gareth Reeves ­ University of Durham

Proposals of not more than 500 words should be
sent by 21st July 2006 at the latest to either of
the organisers:
Dr Alison O¹Malley-Younger ­ alison.younger at sunderland.ac.uk
Professor Stephen Regan ­ stephen.regan at durham.ac.uk
And copied to the conference administrator, Ms
Susan Cottam ­ susan.cottam at sunderland.ac.uk

--
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

CELTLING
Post: celtling at lists.linguistlist.org OR celtling at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subscribe/Unsubscribe - Go to Archives, then click "Join or leave" link