Jackson on OIr.

William Sayers ws36 at CORNELL.EDU
Tue May 2 12:28:47 UTC 2006

I have a memory of reading a remark by Kenneth Jackson to that effect (in
paraphrase) that the Old Irish language was so complicated that it is
difficult to understand how anyone could have spoken it at all.  I admit
that this may have been a nocturnal delusion, reflecting my own
predicament.  I have looked in all the likely publications (OCuiv's View of
the Irish Language, Jackson's Window on the Iron Age, etc) but have drawn a
blank.  Does this ring a bell with anyone?  Thanks.

Will Sayers