Ann an/anns an

Jim Rader jrader at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Nov 2 13:56:20 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the "an" in the Scottish Gaelic "ann an" ('in a')

(= Irish i) is doing there? The one in "anns an" (= Irish sa) makes sense,

but I'm baffled by the 'an' with an indefinite. Is there a historical

explanation?

Best,

Andrew

Don’t have references here, but as I recall “ann an” is a reduplicated form:
<ann> is the 3rd sg. masc. inflected form, substituting for the simple
before a vowel) with the sandhi <n> glued back onto its historical base, as
is normal in Scottish Gaelic.  The preposition <do>, “to,” behaves
similarly:  before an object beginning with a vowel it’s doubled, e.g., in
“Thàinig mi a dh’Alba” (I came to Scotland), where both <a> and <dh’> are
reduced forms of <do>.

Hope I remember this correctly—Best, Jim Rader