New book on Ancient Celtic

Juan Luis García Alonso jlga at USAL.ES
Tue Apr 29 11:41:42 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to announce the recent publication of a new book:

Juan Luis García Alonso (ed.) Celtic and Other Languages in Ancient Europe, Salamanca: Ediciones Universidad de Salamanca, 2008. ISBN: 978-84-7800-335-8.

Although the most obvious source for our knowledge of Ancient Celtic languages is the scanty native inscriptions written in any language or dialect of the family, this approach has also its shortcomings, since it covers mainly the areas of the continent closer to the Mediterranean, whereas huge regions of Central and Northern Europe remain in the dark. Despite the different problems that they entail, proper names become a necessary complement in this context. In many cases, for many areas, the extant personal, divine, ethnic or geographical names constitute our only and meagre linguistic information. It has therefore become apparent that the information which could be obtained from ancient place names is invaluable, once we make sure of how to deal with the thorny question of establishing the right connections between them and the languages spoken in their respective areas at different times.

A first approach to this idea has been undertaken since at least 1999 by the group of scholars who contribute to the present volume. In previous meetings we have studied the Geography of Claudius Ptolemy.

PREVIOUS PUBLICATIONS OF THIS GROUP.

· David Parsons and Patrick Sims-Williams (eds.) Ptolemy: Towards a Linguistic Atlas of the Earliest Celtic Place-names of Europe, Aberystwyth, 2000.

· Javier de Hoz, Eugenio R. Luján and Patrick Sims-Williams (eds.), New Approaches to Celtic Place Names in Ptolemy's Geography, Madrid, 2005.

SALAMANCA MEETING

 J. L. García Alonso, from the University of Salamanca, organized a workshop in Salamanca in May 2006 (21st-23rd) "Celtic and Neighbouring Languages across Ancient Europe". The present book is the result of it. There are papers from the following authors: Javier de Hoz Bravo, from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Patrick Sims-Williams, from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, Blanca María Prósper Pérez, from the Universidad de Salamanca, Eugenio Luján Martínez, from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Juan Luis García Alonso, from the Universidad de Salamanca, Carlos Jordán Cólera, from the Universidad de Zaragoza, P.Y. Lambert, from the University of La Sorbonne, in Paris, Alexander Falileyev, from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, Lauran Toorians, from Loon op Zand, in Holland, Peter Schrijver, from the University of Utrecht, Aswin Gohil, from the University of Bonn, Paolo Pocetti, from the University of Rome "Tor Vergata", and Patrizia de Bernardo Stempel, from the University of the Basque Country.

For orders refer to http://www.eusal.es/ or send an e-mail to pedidos at universitas.usal.es

Juan Luis García Alonso

Universidad de Salamanca

SPAIN