Phonemic transcription and Irish

Obroin, Brian ObroinB at WPUNJ.EDU
Wed Jan 9 19:51:29 UTC 2008

Maith an fear, a Bhriain!

=====
Brian Ó Broin, Ph.D.
Dept. of English, William Paterson University, New Jersey, USA

Linguistics - Medieval Studies - Irish Studies
Teangeolaíocht-Léann na Meánaoise-Léann na hÉireann

Contact/Teagmháil: http://www.geocities.com/brianeanna/

-----Original Message-----
From: The Celtic Linguistics List on behalf of Brian Doyle
Sent: Wed 1/2/2008 10:59 AM
To: CELTLING at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Phonemic transcription and Irish

I am drafting my master's thesis, the subject of which is the
sociolinguistics of Irish orthographic reform. Every scientific text
on Modern Irish uses a phonemic transcription convention that many of
us know from dictionaries such as Foclóir Póca, which is to use an
apostrophe to mark palatalization and leave velarization unmarked.
For example:

bean /b'an/ 'woman'
bán /ba:n/ 'white'

However, I.P.A. designates a superscript "j" and superscript lower-
case "gamma" symbol to mark palatalization and velarization,
respectively. Of course, I can't display this easily in email but the
following link displays what I mean in the box labeled "diacritics,"
under "secondary articulation":

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ipa.htm

The word processor that I am using to write my thesis can render
I.P.A. So, my question is this:

Which transcription method should I use for a scientific paper on
Celtic linguistics? And why is it that no scholarly articles on Irish
linguistics (at least not the ones I have found) use the I.P.A.
convention?

Le gach dea-ghuí,
Brian Doyle
M.A. Candidate, Linguistics