Phonological description of Aran Irish available online

Antony Green toniogreen at WEB.DE
Sat Apr 17 17:12:39 UTC 2010

A chairde,

I want to announce something I could have announced over a year ago, but it
didn't occur to me:

The entire text of Franz Nikolaus Finck's "Die araner mundart" is available
in digitized format online at
http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Die_araner_mundart.

This important work is not only one of the first scientific linguistic
descriptions of a dialect of Irish, it is as far as I know the ONLY
linguistic description of the Irish of the Aran Islands, still a significant
Gaeltacht region.

Since Wikisource is a wiki, anyone can edit the pages. I have read through
the pages more than once myself, but it would be great if someone else could
register a user name at German Wikisource and do a final proofread so the
pages can be locked down (and thus vandalism-proofed). Wikisource's rules
require a text to be proofread by at least two different users before it can
be considered final.

But whether you decide to help proofread or not, this text should be of
great value to anyone interested in Irish linguistics.

Best,

Tonio Green
----
Dr. Antony D. Green