Fwd: 23.3641, Diss: Goidelic/ Linguistic Theories/ Semantics/ Syntax/ Irish: Oda: 'Issues in the Left Periphery of Modern Irish'

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at PSU.EDU
Tue Sep 4 14:58:01 UTC 2012

Thought this dissertation on Irish syntax would be of interest to the group.

Elizabeth
Begin forwarded message:

> From: linguist at linguistlist.org
> Subject: 23.3641, Diss: Goidelic/ Linguistic Theories/ Semantics/ Syntax/ Irish: Oda: 'Issues in the Left Periphery of Modern Irish'
> Date: August 31, 2012 11:05:13 AM EDT
> To: LINGUIST at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>
> LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3641. Fri Aug 31 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.
>
> Subject: 23.3641, Diss: Goidelic/ Linguistic Theories/ Semantics/ Syntax/ Irish: Oda: 'Issues in the Left Periphery of Modern Irish'

> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:04:25
> From: Kenji Oda [kenji.oda at mail.utoronto.ca]
> Subject: Issues in the Left Periphery of Modern Irish
>
> E-mail this message to a friend:
> http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3641.html&submissionid=4552641&topicid=14&msgnumber=1
>
> Institution: University of Toronto
> Program: Department of Linguistics
> Dissertation Status: Completed
> Degree Date: 2012
>
> Author: Kenji Oda
>
> Dissertation Title: Issues in the Left Periphery of Modern Irish
>
> Linguistic Field(s): Linguistic Theories
>                     Semantics
>                     Syntax
>
> Subject Language(s): Irish (gle)
>
> Language Family(ies): Goidelic
>

> Dissertation Director(s):
> James McCloskey
> Michela Ippolito
> Diane Massam
> Elizabeth Cowper
> Daphna Heller
>
> Dissertation Abstract:
>
> Although the syntax of the left periphery of the Irish clausal architecture
> has been the subject of considerable research within the generative
> paradigm, many questions remain unresolved. The general goal of this
> thesis is to explore some of these understudied territories. Specifically,
> I consider two distinct, but ultimately related phenomena: headless
> relative clauses and dependent verbal morphology.
>

> I will make four major claims: The first two concern the syntax (and
> semantics) of the headless relative clause. First, despite the fact that
> the particles that appear in resumptive relative clauses and in headless
> relative clauses are morphophonologically identical as aN, headless
> relative clauses are derived by movement, not by means of resumption,
> and thus the particles in these two constructions are not the same.
> Second, headless relative clauses are amount relative clauses, in the
> sense of Carlson (1977); and thus I claim, adopting Grosu and
> Landman's (1998) notion of complex degree, that the element that
> undergoes A′-movement in a headless relative clause is a complex
> degree, causing degree-abstraction in the semantics. The
> maximalization operator then applies to the degree-abstracted relative
> CP. I argue that it is this operator that triggers the appearance of the
> particle aN in the headless relative construction.
>

> The latter two claims concern the morphosyntax of the left periphery of
> Irish syntax: First, I claim that there are two tense features in a single
> [...]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer/Lecturer in Linguistics
Penn State University
ejp10 at psu.edu
http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejp10/

Got Unicode Blog