Etymology of "usquebaugh-baul"

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at PSU.EDU
Thu Jan 31 17:29:21 UTC 2013

Good point, but since the term was recorded in 1703, could "baol" have been in use in that era? If the "ao" was still the back unrounded vowel, I could see how it might be interpreted as "baul".

Elizabeth
On Jan 30, 2013, at 2:48 PM, Caoimhin O Donnaile <caoimhin at SMO.UHI.AC.UK> wrote:

> “Baol” means danger as Ann said and is a common word in Ireland, but it isn’t common at all in Scotland, where the usual words are “cunnart” or “gàbhadh”.  I’d guess that “baul” is more likely from “ball”, meaning member, limb, as Martin Martin himself said, talking about the Island of Lewis:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Education Technology Services, TLT/ITS