Evaluating Words Ending with 'Y': Mastering =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=98Real=E2=80=99_?=Everyday English

Simon Price simonxprice at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 2 09:39:19 UTC 2014

*Evaluating Words Ending with 'Y': **Mastering ‘Real’ Everyday English*

 *by Dr Sook Hee Lee*

http://www.cranmorepublications.co.uk/student

BOOK DESCRIPTION:

Have you ever listened to an English conversation, and a pounding storm of
unfamiliar words have swirled around your head and left you with a big
headache and an even bigger question: 'Will I ever understand and speak
English like a native???'

As a Korean migrant to Australia at the age of 35, I regularly experienced
this headache; at times it turned to heartbreak. I asked myself this
question many, many times. When I arrived in Australia in 1991 I could
barely speak a word of English. Now, that big question, once filled with
doubt and fear, has been answered: YES! I CAN understand and speak English
like a native! And if I can, you can too!

Sook Hee (Susan) Lee was born in South Korea and migrated to Australia in
1991. She spent 20 years learning English yet she came to realize that
despite having a deep knowledge of English vocabulary and grammar, she
didn’t know real colloquial English. She observed that native English
speakers love to use 'Y' ending expressions in everyday life situations,
and came to suspect that there is a widespread deficiency in the way that
English is taught. After completing a Master's course in TESOL (Teachers of
English to Speakers of Other Languages) at the University of Wollongong,
and a PhD in TESOL at the University of Sydney, her suspicion was confirmed
when she conducted a survey targeting adult ESL students. The results
indicated that the vast majority of the international students surveyed
barely knew the expressions that end in 'Y'.

In this book Sook Hee shares with you all that she has learnt on her
journey to speaking English like a native. You will be exposed to one of
the most innovative and yet simple approaches to learning casual
conversation as well as discovering exceptionally useful learning
materials. ESL/EFL learners will learn the 'secret' of real expressions
that native English speakers use in everyday life situations.

This is the only book that outlines the evaluative expressions that end in
'Y' (e.g. fussy, cranky, quirky, bossy, etc.). To aid learning the book
contains speech grammar exercises which are associated with these
expressions. Sook Hee has been compiling these evaluative expressions for
over 20 years. Now you can grasp them quickly by reading this book.

REVIEWS:

"This book embodies a *unique* approach to describing aspects of the
English language which learners often do not get taught but which are
essential to function effectively in an English-speaking environment. The
application of the appraisal model of evaluative language in resources for
language learners *is novel*, and the focus on words ending in –y allows *a
surprisingly wide range of commonly-used evaluative* terms to be introduced
and exemplified."

*Professor Geoff Thompson*

Honorary Senior Fellow, School of English, University of Liverpool, UK

Visiting Professor, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou

Guest Professor, University of Science and Technology, Beijing

"This book will be *very useful for teachers and learners alike*. The
author has identified a very interesting area of language that will make
users sound more natural and takes their vocabulary to places most *coursebooks
have previously ignored*."

*Richard Pincus*

Head of teaching at the Embassy Language Centre, Sydney, Australia

"This book is well written and fun to read. I strongly recommend it to
those who want to develop a *critical ability* in English speaking and
writing."

*Dr Xinghua Liu*

PhD (Reading, UK)

Lecturer of Applied Linguistics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China

*"Principles and Practices of Oral Communication *is *really
interesting*and provides*
essential and crucial* knowledge for those who are studying English."

*Haneul Lee*

An international university student from South Korea

"This is a quirky, interesting, playful book that provides a very *interesting
and distinctive *approach to understanding how the English language can be
used to evaluate our experiences, the people we meet and the things and
phenomena we encounter. It expresses the *exceptional talent that Dr Susan
Lee has* for introducing *her passion for systemic functional
linguistics*into very *practical,
very amusing* language learning activities for those learning English as a
second or foreign language – and also for speakers of English learning more
about how we evaluate based on our feelings, our judgements of truthfulness
and morality and our appreciation of events, performances, creations and
natural phenomena. *Principles and Practices of Oral Communication *shows
how a powerful linguistic theory can be used to produce *effective and
enjoyable* language learning experiences. This is an important book by a
truly scholarly teacher who has drawn on her own experience as an English
language learner to empower all who read this work."

*Dr Len Unsworth*

Professor in English and Literacies Education

Australian Catholic University, Sydney

THE AUTHOR:

When Sook Hee Lee arrived in Australia with three little children, she
could not speak a word of English. After recovering from a life threatening
disease, she obtained a PhD in TESOL at the University of Sydney at the age
of 48. She then taught EAP and IELTS programs in Australia, and became an
EAP curriculum developer and a trainer of EAP teachers at the Embassy
Language Centre. She has published an academic essay-related book and 10
papers solely in American, English and Australian-based journals. She is a
reviewer of the Journal of US-China Foreign Language and Sino-US English
Teaching, and is on the Editorial Board of the TESOL Journal, a sister
journal to the Asian EFL Journal. She is a member of the Association for
Academic Language and Learning (AALL) and the Australian Systemic
Functional Linguistics Association (ASFLA). Her main research interests are
in the areas of functional grammar, interpersonal meaning – including
evaluation in essay writing – and intercultural rhetoric. She is currently
working at Charles Sturt University Study Centre in Sydney as a Study
Support Coordinator and as an adjunct lecturer at the university. Her main
role is to teach both local and international students at undergraduate and
Masters' level how to write academic essays critically. Following a vote by
students, Dr Lee was awarded the Best Customer Service Award 2012 for
making a positive contribution to their writing and providing a
professional, timely and friendly service.

THE BOOK:

http://www.cranmorepublications.co.uk/student

.