trouble with transcriber mode

Dr B Plunkett lang12 at york.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 18:30:58 UTC 2001

Help. I've just downloaded a new version of CLAN to try out
transcriber mode but I can't get it to work with my digital sound files
which are half an hour long recorded in 16 bit mono at twice the sampling
rate recommended in the manual.
At first my system froze every time I tried to enter transcriber mode.
I've discovered that I have to turn off chat mode which the system
defaults to when it sees my chat files.I can make things work now with a
tiny wave file but if I try to load my real files I get an out of memory
message.
I'm running a Pentium III 900MhZ system with Windows ME and I have 128MB
of Ram. There's loads of free hard drive space so windows surelyought to
be able to allocated memory.
Any suggestions?
thanks,
Bernadette Plunkett