counting MLUm

Simon Huang pyh at hknet.com
Sun Jun 3 16:44:15 UTC 2001

Dear Childes members,

I am currently a research student in Hong Kong, and I have encountered a
technical problem in using CLAN and would like to obtain opinions from you.

When I use the MLU program to calculate MLU for a set of data, I found that
the program was able to count morphemes when the delimiter # is used in the
main tier.  However, if the morphological information is only encoded in the
MOR tier only, I found that what I obtained is MLUw instead of MLUm.  So, if
the morphological information is only encoded in the mor tier rather than
the main tier, is there any way to perform an MLUm count using CLAN? (Note:
I'm now working on English data.)

I would be grateful if any of you could give me advices.  Thank you very
much.

Regards,
Simon Huang
Chinese University of HK