"FFS-Saxony": hacek and carka

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Aug 1 19:01:18 UTC 2002

Dear Katerina,
  I tested out entering special Czech characters in the CLAN editor on
Windows 2000.  I set my input locale and keyboard to Czech and then opened
up a new CLAN file and set the font to Arial Unicode.  I also had to select
the Central European encoding to call up the right subset of Arial Unicode.
I then typed Czech characters in CLAN using things like right-ALT-3 and
right-ALT-4 for the s and c with the hacek.  I don't have a map of the
Microsoft Czech keyboard, but I guess you know it.  So, this seems to work
fine in CLAN on Windows.  If you want to hand-craft your own Czech keyboard,
you can use some software from www.tavultesoft.com, but this should not be
necessary it seems, since Microsoft seems to provide the necessary
components.  By the way, this works in a pretty parallel way on the Mac with
Czech and other Latin-based scripts.

--Brian MacWhinney