Netscape 4.7

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Nov 18 18:41:07 UTC 2002

Dear Info-ChiBolts,
  Barbara Pearson just now pointed out to me that Netscape 4.7 on the
Macintosh is having problems contacting childes.psy.cmu.edu.  I tried to
find a copy of Netscape 4.7 on the web to test this out, but it is no longer
available.  And I can't find a copy anywhere here at CMU.  Netscape is now
up to version 7.0.  There were some problems with 6.0 over a year ago, and
many universities encouraged people to stick with 4.7 at that time.
However, they were fixed with 6.2 and now we are at 7.0.  Given this, I
think it makes sense to ask Macintosh Netscape 4.7 CHILDES users to update
their Netscape or else use Internet Explorer or Mozilla.
  I haven't heard of any browser problems on Windows and I haven't heard of
any browser problems with Internet Explorer or Mozilla on Mac.  So, the only
issue appears to be Netscape 4.7 on Mac.
  If anyone is successfully accessing childes.psy.cmu.edu using Netscape 4.7
on Mac, I would also like to hear about that.

--Brian MacWhinney