Non-joker asterisks

Charles Watkins charles.watkins at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jul 26 03:55:25 UTC 2003

Dear Info-Chibolts,

I've run into a simple one that I can't seem to see my way through.

Errors, as we all know, are coded [*] on the main line according to Childes conventions. Supposing you want to KWAL a file to get out all the utterances containing an error?  kwal +tCHI +s[*] *.chi gets you all utterances containing material between square brackets ([: replace-ment text], [/], [//] etc), because of course * is a joker. Is there anywhere to get the programme to treat * as a typographical symbol rather than a joker? I've tried kwal +tCHI +s["*"] *.chi and similar dodges remembered from other programming languages, but they don't seem to have the desired effect.

Thanks to any who can enlighten....

Charles Watkins.