Coordinating tiers with CLAN

Patti Spinner pattispinner at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 02:50:40 UTC 2003

Hello,

I'm using CHAT and CLAN for the first time, and I'm trying to figure out how
best to code transcripts of second-language production for use of
determiners.  I want to code separate tiers for %mor, %syn, and %err.  A
problem seems to arise when there are multiple determiners in a speaker's
turn.  If I code two or more instances on one tier, then how will the
program know which %mor coding belongs with which %err coding (i.e., which
determiner)?  I need to be able to retrieve a single determiner's %err, %mor
and %syn information simultaneously to check for correlations, etc.

I have considered simply making duplicates of each turn that has multiple
determiners and then coding only one determiner for each copy, but this
doesn't seem like the best way.  Does anyone have a suggestion for coding
and/or analyzing the data so that this is not necessary?

Thanks!
Patti Spinner
University of Pittsburgh