Coordinating tiers with CLAN

Javier lpxao at psychology.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed May 14 12:01:36 UTC 2003

Dear Bryan, Patti, and Charles,

I agree completely with Bryan in the fact that COMBO is the most appropriate
command, and you could get a lot out of it, but perhaps because of its
multiple capabilities (or my poor skills) it's a bit tricky.

Therefore, let me just add a comment regarding MODREP before you decide to
re-code all your transcripts.

Note that you can exclude things from the "input tier" with the subcommand
"-q". This way you wouldn't require a perfect match between tiers.

With the CHSTRING command you can do the following text-replacements:

(1) Replace all your determiners in the main tier with a final string like
"INNN":

i.e. where it says: " the "
     should say:    " theINNN "
     where it says: " a "
     should say:    " aINNN "

NOTE: determiners at the beginning of the utterance should replace "<TAB>the
" with "<TAB>theINNN ".

(2) Replace the rest of words with another final string:

i.e. where it says: " "
     should say:    "OFFF "

(3) And rectify determiners after the last replacement:

i.e. where it says: "INNNOFFF "
     should say:    "INNN "

You'll end up with a very odd file. Your original transcript could look like
bellow:

*CHI:   TheINNN laINNN [*]OFFF houseOFFF isOFFF niceOFFF .
%mor:   det|theINNN det|laINNN
%syn:   < MINNNN MINNN >
%err:   laINNN =OFFF 0OFFF

But observe that your partially coded %syn and %mor lines now match
perfectly with the *CHI line when using:

MODREP +b*CHI +c%mor -q"*OOOFFF" *.cha

MODREP +b*CHI +c%syn -q"*OOOFFF" *.cha

Even more, you can probably sort out your %err line with similar
replacements.

In fact, that's more or less what COMBO would automatically do.

Just in case, let me remind that in no way should anyone attempt to do any
systematic replacement over the original files!

Best wishes,

Javier Aguado Orea
School of Psychology
University of Nottingham