types of utterances

Javier lpxao at psychology.nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 15:34:02 UTC 2003

Hello,

Does anyone there know about a good CLAN command that would pool-out types
of utterances?

Let me explain myself. I want to restrict the analysis to those utterances
that differ in at least one word/position. Therefore, I want CLAN to exclude
identical utterances.

For instance, let's imagine a corpus with the following set of utterances:

*CHI:   hola , Mamá .
*CHI:   0¿ qué tal ?
*CHI:   adiós , Mamá.
*CHI:   buenas noches , Mamá .
*CHI:   hola , Mamá .

If if use the following command:

FREQ +t*CHI +s"Mamá"

the out would count 4 tokens and 1 type.

However, I want CLAN to exclude one of these tokens, since the child said
"hola, Mamá" two times. Therefore, I would like to have 3 tokens instead of
4.

A possible way to solve the problem it would be to delete from the corpus
all the duplicates... but I don't know how to do it.

I don't have any problem with self-repetitions of repetitions with the
previous utterance (since they are all labelled). My problem is when the
speaker reproduces the same sentence at two or more different points in time
and I just want one of them.

Thanks for your help.

Javier Aguado Orea
School of Psychology