Converting SALT transcripts to CHAT

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Sep 5 00:48:18 UTC 2003

Dear Diane,
  The SALTIN program inside CLAN is designed to do this.  It turns out that
there are a lot of user-defined options in SALT that will only translate
easily if one fine tunes SALTIN, so there are some options for doing that
fine-tuning.  For your purposes, this should work generally OK.  It might be
a good idea to try one file and see if it is doing what you want.  We would
be happy to tweek SALTIN a bit if needed.  In addition, we have recently
added a couple of header lines to the CHAT format and we need to update
SALTIN a bit to make sure it creates these lines automatically.  I will ask
Leonid to do that, if you are planning to use it.

--Brian MacWhinney