CHECK

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Sep 11 15:04:48 UTC 2003

On 9/11/03 12:53 AM, "Uta Lam" <utalam at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Prof. MacWhinney,
>
> I found that the CHECK program cannot pass the following item:
>
> *** File "cc980604.cha": line 512.
> %mor: n:prop|Ally~v|be&3S adv:loc|here.
> Item '~' can not be followed by the next symbol.(65)
>
> Could you please let me know how to solve this problem ? In the past, it is
> allowed in the program and I have took a look at the CHAT.pdf, the format of
> tagging abbreviation form "Ally's" (Ally is) as n:prop|Ally~v|be&3S is
> allowed.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your attention.
>
> Uta Lam

Dear Uta,

In the new format, there are preclitics marked by #~ and postclitics marked
by ~-
English has only postclitics.  Preclitics are mostly for languages like
German or Hungarian with verbal prefixes.

To pass CHECK you need

%mor: n:prop|Ally~-v|be&3S adv:loc|here.

You can globally replace ~ with ~- and all of these will be fixed, since
there is no other use of ~ in CHAT.

--Brian