Fixed

Leach, Diane (NIH/NICHD) leachd at mail.nih.gov
Tue Sep 23 18:23:37 UTC 2003

Hi Brian et al.

I am very new to CHAT and CLAN, so I apologize in advance if my ignorance
shows.  We have been using main line morphemization for the purpose of
computing MLU in morphemes in one set of data.  Furthermore, I have been
exploring the possibility of converting SALT data to CHAT so that I could
analyze similar data in other languages like Dutch, Italian, Japanese,
French, Hebrew, etc.  When I use the SALTIN procedure, it converts my SALT
transcripts into main line morphemicized CHAT data.  This is all fine and
dandy except for one thing.  When I try to get a count of the number of
different word roots spoken (using freq), CLAN is counting different forms
of the same word as different word types.  See below:

  4 bear
  2 bear-s
  1 because
  4 can
  3 can-'nt
  1 cause
  1 chair-s
  1 children
  1 clothe-s
  1 come-ing
  1 could
  1 daddy
  2 have
  1 have-ing
  1 he
  1 he-'is

I tried adding *-* to the depfile and adding 'legacy' to the @Languages
line, but I'm still having the problem.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is
there an option to ignore the endings?

Thanks!

Diane

Diane B. Leach, Ph.D.