MOR

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Jan 16 16:49:44 UTC 2004

On 1/16/04 5:57 AM, "Anna Gudmundson" <anna.gudmundson at fraita.su.se> wrote:

> Dear Brian et. al
>
> Before christmas I sent a question to info-chibolt about retraced
> materials, but unfortunately no one could help me. Now I make another try,
> sending the same question again and hoping that someone has an idea how to
> solve the problem!!
>
> I''ve discovered that MOR doesn't include retraced materials, marked with
> the [//] symbol, in it's analysis. I've tried to use the +r6 option. but
> CLAN reacts saying it's an invalid option. Is there any way to include
> retraced materials in the MOR analysis?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Anna Gudmundson
> Stockholm university

Dear Anna,
  By default, MOR is supposed to exclude retraced materials.  This is what
most people want and what all grammatical measures I have ever seen specify.
It might well be an easy matter to add another switch to MOR to allow for
inclusion of retraced material.  I will ask Leonid about that.  One way to
get this to work with be to simply replace [/] with [% /] and [//]
with [% //] globally.  Not pretty, but it would work and you could change
those symbols back after running MOR.

--Brian