extracting random sample of utterances

Javier Aguado Orea lpxao at psychology.nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jul 20 13:27:10 UTC 2004

Caroline,

I made a similar thing some time ago.
Since I was not able to find a CLAN command which could do exactly what
you want to do, I followed this procedure.

First, I imported the full list of utterances with Excel, so that you
get one utterance per cell in a column of the sheet:
Data>Get External Data>Import Text File
Then you create a series of random numbers in the next column with the
function:
"=RAND()"
Finally, you can now sort the list of utterances on the basis of the
second column (the list of random numbers) with:
Data > Sort  and then "Sort by: Column B"
All you have to do now is copy and paste the first 100 cells, the first
200 and so on.

If the random number generated by Excel are not be all the random you
want them to be, try the following website (another person told me
about this website in my previous similar query to Info-Childes):
www.randomizer.org

Javier