Neutralizing ending in word list

Brian MacWhinney macw at mac.com
Sat Oct 9 19:25:50 UTC 2004

Dear Diane,
   Sorry about the delay in responding.  I guess your goal is to treat
forms like "he'd" as if they were versions of "he".  You may be right
that it will be tricky to do that using the % symbols.  But, before
going in that direction, I would like to think through with you and
others, the logic of the analysis.  Do you really want to say that the
pronoun is the root of a cliticized form?  Isn't that going against the
idea that there are really two full words being contracted here.
Wouldn't it be better to use the +p option and treat the tilde ~ for
the clitic as
a delimiter?  That was the original goal underlying the +p option and
it would seem to apply well in this case.

--Brian MacWhinney