Quotations

Brian MacWhinney macw at mac.com
Tue Sep 21 19:56:04 UTC 2004

Dear Diane,
    MOR doesn't exactly ignore the quote.  Rather it treats it as a
single noun.  This is a tricky matter, particularly since a parser
would need to know that the whole phrase is functioning first as a
nominal and then with internal structure.  Until we figure out a clever
way of doing this, changing the behavior of the quoting would really
mess up the POST program.
   However, there is a good method for dealing with longer quotes which
I recommend.  It is
the form
*MOT:	okay here's the Mommy talking to the dog, and she says +".
*MOT:	+" look after the baby Carl, I'll be back shortly.
My goal is eventually to go through the database changing inline quotes
to this format.  You should be able to do it for your data directly.
You could also use this form for your first example, but that is your
call.

--Brian MacW