German MOR

Brian MacWhinney macw at mac.com
Fri Dec 30 21:54:07 UTC 2005

Dear Linda,

      You can do this in MOR, but it will lead to a fairly serious
rearrangement of virtually every arule in the language.  The result
would be
a much less usable MOR system for German.  The basic idea underneath
MOR is that it is supposed to be analyzing target language morphemes,
rather than errors.  Instead of writing a rule for every possible
error, it is better to tag errors directly In the case of spelling
errors, the recommended treatment is simply to have

zwoelf [: zwölf]

if you want to typologize the errors or spelling types, you can have

gros [: groß] [* sß]

Here the symbol sß can be anything you want to serve as a ready tag
for spotting error types.

In all these cases, MOR will only process the second form, but you
retain the student's original in case you want to look at spelling
errors or patterns.

We have also, from time to time, thought about adding a second pass
to MOR that would take the allomorphs generate by the arules and
submit them to a further set of across-the-board generations.  This
would work well, for example, for the spelling changes in Romance verbs.
However, in practice, we were able to handle such phenomena well
enough in the current framework and were not that motivated to do the
work involved in adding this feature to MOR.

--Brian MacWhinney